Apr 16, 2011

Hills west of Saburtalo (Tbilisi, Georgia), April 16, 2011

After I had not been biking for nearly a year, I decided to give it a try. I had spotted an interesting trip on Google Earth. The roads I had found on Google Earth to the villages (Nafetvrebi and Mukhatskaro) on the hills west of Saburtalo one of the districts of Tbilisi.

The road went up, up and up, and the effort was close to what I am able to handle. But I succeeded, with many nice views on the tough road up and easy way down.


On my way out of town I passed several cemeteries, where people were very busy tidying up the graves.


I am always impressed by the Georgian gravestones.


Much of the way uphill was through the village Nafetvrebi.
Half of the houses was deserted or never finalised, and I saw very few people - a very strange feeling, like a ghost town or after a war.
Difficult to explain why, the village was only half an hour drive from Tbilisi centre and the houses had fantastic views.


A nice small mountain stream -


- the perfect place to throw your garbage.




Georgian architects does not seem to be involved in the design of many of the countryside houses




Lise Lake and Tbilisi reservoir
It was very hard on my legs to cycle uphill. But I also got managed to get higher than on other cycle trips. Here I look down at the Tbilisi reservoir (centre) and Lisi Lake, two places that Vlado and I have visited on our bikes: When we went there I found it rather challenging, but on this trip I got far higher up.


The area around Tbilisi is rich in deep gorges and steep mountain ridges, which divides the town


Around Tbilisi you find many areas with soviet concrete blocks


Spring is in the air


The last road section before I came to the urban area

No comments: