Jul 12, 2009

Tbilisi Botanical Gardens







As a training exercise before the challenges in Caucasus (Svaneti) in a week, I took a 5 hours Sunday walk in Tbilisi and surroundings. First the “usual” walk to the city centre. From the bath house region I walked through the old Jewish/Azeri part of the town to the new unfinished Transfiguration Church to be greeted by one of the best vies in the city. From the church I went up the mountain ridge bordering the Botanical Gardens through thinly planted pine forest with occasionally startling views. From the mountain ridge I found a nice path down to the botanical gardens. The botanical gardens was a very good experience with lush forest and nicely maintained.

The only person I meet from, the time I left the Transfiguration Church until I approached the entrance to the Botanical Gardens was an employee of the Botanical Gardens. Strange to be so alone and at the same time so close to the city.

No comments: